Regardless of your decorating style, drapes will add beauty and softness to your home.
Drapes have many functions such as providing privacy, keeping heat in during the cold weather and offering protection from the sun’s damaging UV rays.
Although they can be more expensive, custom drapes will create a perfectly suited and unique look for your home. Whether you are choosing custom or ready-made drapery, here are a few things to consider:
• For a richer, more luxurious look choose lined drapes. Lined drapes provide a uniform look from the outside, lengthens the life of your drapery and is superior to unlined drapes for insulation purposes.
• The average lifespan for lined drapery is seven years and four years for unlined drapery.
• There are many types of lining. If your windows are south or west facing, lining should offer UV protection. In bedrooms you may wish to consider black out lining for more coverage and to block the natural light for better rest.
• Considering silk or faux silk drapery? Adding interlining, which is a flannel-like cotton fabric that hangs between the face fabric and the lining will not only protect your fabric, it will also give your drapes a more voluptuous look.
• A weighted, double 4 inch invisible hem is standard on custom drapery. Many ready-made drapery panels are not weighted and have a single one-inch visible hem.
• Always take the drape’s fabric content into consideration. Some fabrics are more sensitive to the sun and moisture. It is important to check care and cleaning instructions. Maintenance for most drapes includes vacuuming with a soft brush regularly. Dry clean as required.